Digi International, a leading global provider of machine-to-machine (M2M) and Internet of Things (IoT) connectivity products and services, today announced the immediate availability of the ConnectCore for i.MX6UL Development Kit.
Delivering a complete software platform requiring little to no hardware development to create a wide range of connected devices, the ConnectCore for i.MX6UL Development Kit leverages the NXP i.MX6UL System-on-Module (SOM) to provide:
- A complete IoT design platform: The kit includes all functionality on one board and allows designers to address all development needs, including a proven reference design for module-based development, a rapid prototyping platform for quickly creating proof-of-concepts, and a productization-ready platform to quickly bring fully developed intelligent connected products to market.
- Off-the-shelf Single Board Computer: Built on the ConnectCore for i.MX6UL module, the SBC delivers a complete off-the-shelf SBC with all the features and capabilities to build industrial-strength wired and wireless connected devices. Features include:
- A compact Pico-ITX form factor (100mm x 72mm) with mounting options, industrial operating temperature range, 256 MB of highly reliable NAND flash and 256 MB DDR3 memory – both expandable to 2GB
- Wired and wireless connectivity through dual 10/100 Mbit Ethernet networking, pre-certified 802.11a/b/g/n/ac networking, and Bluetooth 4.2 with Bluetooth low energy (LE) connectivity with external antenna options, and Near-field communication (NFC)
- Optional cellular connectivity via PCI Express Mini Card and integrated Micro SIM slot
- Digi XBee socket supporting the broad line of Digi XBee RF modules for 802.15.4, ZigBee, Thread, Digi Mesh, and Sub-GHz wireless connectivity
- 24-bit LVDS and RGB parallel LCD support (up to WXGA), camera, SD card storage, on-board eMMC flash option, energy-harvesting NFC tag capabilities (NXP NTAG), USB host/device, I/O connectors (CAN, UART, SPI, I2C, GPIO), user LEDs and buttons, power in/out, and battery connector
- Industrial operating temperature from -40° C to 85° C, and IEC 60068-2 temperature, shock, and vibration rated compliance
- An intelligent and secure communication engine: Based on the new NXP i.MX 6UltraLite applications processor, the ConnectCore for i.MX6UL SOM is designed as an intelligent embedded platform featuring an extremely small footprint and low power consumption to build highly cost-effective and dependable connected devices without the traditional hardware or software design risk. The module offers a unique low-profile, patent-pending Digi SMTplus surface mount form factor slightly larger than a postage stamp that provides two cost-optimized integration options (fully featured LGA, and simplified castellated edge vias), and ultra-low power operation using seamlessly integrated Microcontroller Assist (MCA) capabilities.
With Digi’s complete Linux Board Support Package (BSP), the Development Kit delivers an integrated and tested Yocto Project Linux software platform with regular maintenance based on current, stable releases, and full source code access. Additionally, the new Digi TrustFence Device Security Framework provides critical device security features out-of-the-box, such as secure connections, secure boot, encrypted file systems, access-controlled ports and seamless integration of a dedicated on-module Secure Element (SE).
“The ConnectCore for i.MX6UL Development Kit delivers a complete and unique reference design and embedded development platform for smart, secure connected devices and gateways,” said Mike Rohrmoser, director of product management, embedded systems at Digi International. “Built on the standard Pico-ITX form factor, it offers both a rapid development and immediate productization platform. It is highly integrated, fully validated and backed by Digi’s expertise, hardware, software, and services support.”
As compared to the Starter Kit (see “Digi International Announces Immediate Availability of ConnectCore for i.MX6UL Starter Kit“), the SBC is focused on the creation of connected smart gateway capabilities, including those requiring more flexible implementation options such as integration of multiple wireless technologies, or LCD and camera support.
Digi ConnectCore 6UL Development Kit* is available at $249. Kits will be available from authorized Digi distributors.
Digi also offers additional go-to-market options to its customers through the Digi Wireless Design Services team, offering design reviews, custom carrier board designs, antenna design/selection guidance, cellular integration and certification assistance.
*Starter and SBC boards are production-ready and are available for purchase separately. Both kits are also reference designs for the Digi SMTplus LGA and castellated edge vias module design integration, with complete design source file availability. Limited ConnectCore 6UL module samples are available, with initial volume production scheduled for Q1 2017 with volume pricing as low as $33.