Apigee, developer of an intelligent API platform for digital business, today launched Apigee Link, an API-first Internet of Things (IoT) product for connecting devices to the Internet. Apigee Link provides built-in REST APIs and end-to-end connectivity for devices to enable device makers to offer new digital experiences for their customers, create new revenue streams with their partners, and grow their business. Apigee Link enables any device maker to become a digital platform business and to take advantage of the IoT.
“APIs are a critical enabler for the Internet of Things,” said Chet Kapoor, CEO of Apigee. “With Apigee Link, we are leveraging our core competency in APIs, data, and protocol mediation to deliver a new Apigee product that securely links devices with the Internet and helps device makers build powerful IoT ecosystems. Apigee is already working with device makers and solution partners, and we look forward to working with many more to help them become platform businesses.”
Today, global device makers and enterprises are reimagining how entire systems can be improved with smart devices, big data and digital platforms. For example, CentraLite, a manufacturer of control and energy-management devices, is working with Apigee to offer their enterprise customers and partners new opportunities for connected devices.
“CentraLite has long been providing reliable products for a connected world, and we’re thrilled to collaborate with Apigee to enable new applications in the space,” said John Calagaz, Chief Technology Officer at CentraLite. “With Apigee, we’re able to provide our existing and new enterprise customers with a robust framework for highly customizable IoT solutions.”
Device makers can experience a number of challenges in building a digital platform business: reliably and securely connecting devices to the Internet with minimal latency; enabling partners and customers to orchestrate digital experiences that involve multiple devices; working with app developers; and collecting, analyzing, and acting on data from sensors and actuators. Device makers often do not have a clear path to solving these challenges, which can slow and increase the risks of moving toward the digital world of the Internet of Things.
“API-first” approach to the Internet of Things
Apigee Link makes it easy for device makers to securely link devices to the cloud and to enable their customers and partners to build digital experiences involving many devices.
Key capabilities available to users include:
- REST APIs: Access any device using the built-in REST APIs
- WebSockets: Stream near-real-time data among physical devices, the cloud and mobile apps using open standards.
- Two-Way Communication: Send data from the cloud to the device or from the device to the cloud, including requests through traditional home routers in either direction.
- Protocol Mediation: Communicate with any device by mediating between web, wired, and wireless protocols, including, ZigBee, WiFi, BLE, MQTT, and more.
- Sensor and Actuator Data: Monitor device behavior by streaming and ingesting data in the cloud for storage and analysis.
- Identity and Security: Secure device interactions by authenticating and authorizing users, apps and devices.
- Rules and Applications: Influence device and user behavior in real time with data-driven rules and Node.js.
- Device Hub Ecosystems: Create device ecosystems around geographically distributed hubs in homes or businesses.
- Mobile and Platform SDKs: Enable app developers to rapidly develop digital IoT experiences on iOS, with plans to support Android and other leading platforms in the future.
“As organizations start to establish how to take advantage of the potential that the IoT has to offer, APIs will play a central role. We’ve worked with a number of clients using Apigee’s API management platform, and their entry into the IoT ecosystem is a welcome one,” said Paul Daugherty, Chief Technology Officer, Accenture.
“The number of connected intelligent devices will continue to grow exponentially, giving ‘smart things’ the ability to sense, interpret, communicate and negotiate, and effectively have a digital ‘voice’,” said Steve Prentice, Vice President and Gartner Fellow. “CIOs must look for opportunities to create new services, usage scenarios and business models based on this growth.”
Apigee Link leverages Zetta, an open source IoT platform project. In order to keep pace with the growing diversity of new and legacy device standards, Apigee Link builds on the open source protocol mediation capabilities available in Zetta so that myriad devices can effectively communicate and negotiate with one another. Apigee Link also extends Zetta by adding enterprise support and cloud services.
In addition to Apigee Link, Apigee also offers Apigee Edge, which delivers comprehensive API management, and Apigee Insights, which delivers predictive analytics on big data. Apigee Link leverages Apigee Edge and Apigee Insights. With Apigee Edge, Apigee Insights, and Apigee Link, device makers can use APIs, predictive analytics, and IoT to accelerate their move to the digital world.
Apigee Link is available today as a cloud and device software offering for select customers and will be widely available later this year.
For more information about Apigee Link, visit the Apigee website at http://apigee.com/about/products/apigee-link.