JetBrains, the creators of intelligent, productivity-enhancing tools for software developers, have announced the public availability of IntelliJ IDEA 10, the newest version of its award-winning IDE for JVM-based and polyglot development.
The tools developers use today determine what kind of software we will use tomorrow. As the inventor and champion of many developer productivity concepts, with this release IntelliJ IDEA enters a new decade of excellence and innovation.
“During the last few years we’ve seen a boom of new cool technologies that every developer wanted to use. And IntelliJ IDEA has been on the cutting-edge, supporting them all,” said Max Shafirov, IntelliJ IDEA project lead. “Last year the industry settled down somewhat on a stack of technologies used for application development, and we took this chance to review IntelliJ IDEA from the user experience perspective. We revisited the most common actions that developers perform dozens or hundreds of times a day and made them smarter, faster and easier to use.”
To remain on the cutting edge, IntelliJ IDEA 10 brings numerous improvements for its many supported technologies and frameworks including Spring, GWT, Groovy/Grails, and Flex/ActionScript while adding new ones like Spring Roo, AspectJ and ColdFusion.
JetBrains also expands the target market for its Community Edition with the addition of Google Android support. The IDE offers comprehensive support for the latest Android SDK and modern Android development practices such as unit testing.
The key features of this version include:
• Significant enhancements to the user interface and user experience, both in the editor and the IDE as a whole
• 100% faster code indexing, and an overall performance increase
• New code completion behavior with automatic invocation while typing
• Better support for distributed version control systems such as Git and Mercurial
• Updated Maven integration with Maven 3 support, new dependency diagram, POM refactorings and more
• Integrated database table editor
To learn more about what’s new in JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA and to download the edition of your choice, please visit the official IntelliJ IDEA website.