VMware, Inc., a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility, today announced the release of VMware Fusion 8, which includes over 50 new features, and is ready for the latest Apple and Microsoft innovations to deliver the ultimate Windows on Mac experience. VMware is also releasing VMware Fusion 8 Pro, with over 60 new features, including leading edge capabilities and cloud integration designed for advanced users and technical professionals.
“VMware Fusion enables Mac users to take full advantage of all the innovative features and capabilities available in Windows 10 such as Cortana or the new Edge browser,” said Nicolas Rochard, director, product marketing, End-User Computing, VMware. “With Apple OS X El Capitan readiness, up to 65 percent faster graphics(i), and an incredible cloud incentive program for our VMware Fusion Pro users to make the most of VMware vCloud Air, the value delivered by VMware is greater than ever before.”
VMware Fusion 8
VMware Fusion 8 is designed for individuals searching for an easy, fast and reliable solution to run Windows on a Mac without rebooting. With seamless integration that enables Windows applications to run like native Mac applications, VMware Fusion 8 is the ideal solution for Mac users who want the best of both worlds.
Key new enhancements in VMware Fusion 8 include:
- Built for Microsoft Windows 10 – VMware Fusion 8 lets users take advantage of the latest features in Windows 10 like Cortana, the Microsoft speech-enabled virtual assistant, or the new Edge web browser. Users can quickly, easily and safely install new or upgrade existing virtual machines to Windows 10 with VMware Fusion 8.
- Ready for Apple OS X El Capitan – VMware Fusion 8 is ready for Apple OS X El Capitan. Users can run VMware Fusion 8 on El Capitan public beta today with confidence or install El Capitan in a virtual machine to test its new features, capabilities and application compatibility without disrupting the current Mac environment.
- Enhanced Graphics Engine – With added support for DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3, VMware Fusion 8 can deliver up to 65 percent faster graphics over the previous version, giving users more responsive and fluid graphics for day to day work while delivering maximum performance for highly demanding 3D applications.
- Ready for the Latest Macs – Whether running Windows on the latest Macs such as the iMac Retina 5K or connecting Retina Macs to 4K displays, VMware Fusion 8 offers users a crisp Windows on Mac experience on mixed environments. For Mac laptop users, VMware Fusion enables power coming out of their Mac’s battery to be used as efficiently as possible, and provides adaptive graphics switching to give users the ultimate performance while least impacting battery life.
VMware Fusion 8 Pro
VMware Fusion 8 Pro takes virtualization on the Mac to the next level with unmatched features designed for technical professionals that want to run Windows and Linux applications on a Mac without rebooting. With added support for the latest Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems like Windows 10, Ubuntu 15.04 or OS X 10.11 El Capitan Preview, advanced users, developers, QA and IT admins can rely on VMware Fusion 8 Pro for its high performance, reliability and leading edge Mac virtualization features.
Key enhancements in Fusion 8 include:
- From the Mac to the Cloud – Native integration with VMware vCloud Air is now available and can be used to securely back up local virtual machines to the cloud, or build websites and apps locally before pushing them to the cloud for production.
- VMware vCloud Air Incentive Program – To help users get familiar with the benefits of cloud computing, VMware Fusion 8 Pro customers are eligible to receive $600 in vCloud Air service credit to use for up to 6 months — twice the standard VMware vCloud Air sign-up offer.
- VMware Ecosystem Integration – VMware Fusion 8 Pro has improved integration for connecting to, creating and running virtual machines hosted on VMware vSphere, VMware ESXi or VMware Workstation servers. Control and download virtual machines from remote servers and turn them into local Fusion Pro virtual machines, or upload local virtual machines to vSphere directly from Fusion Pro.
- Built for Developers – Customers can use modern 3rd party tools such as Chef, Hashicorp Vagrant or Docker Machine to automate virtual machine and container deployment, or build universal applications for Windows 10 devices without ever leaving the Mac.
- Complex Virtual Networking – With updated networking controls, including IPv6 NAT support, and compatibility with the VMware ecosystem, VMware Fusion 8 Pro users can recreate complex cloud architectures right on the Mac to demonstrate or validate design before implementation.
Centralized Management of Distributed Virtual Desktops
VMware Fusion customers interested in centrally managing virtual machines can upgrade to VMware Horizon FLEX. With the ability to centrally provision, manage and secure virtual desktops and applications running locally on Macs using policy-based controls, VMware Horizon FLEX is the ideal solution for customers who are looking to provide added management capabilities to their VMware Fusion install base.
Availability and Pricing
VMware Fusion 8 and VMware Fusion 8 Pro are available immediately for download and purchase from vmware.com for $79.99 and $199.99 respectively. VMware Fusion 8 Pro is also available from VMware partners and distributors.
Customers who have purchased VMware Fusion 7 or VMware Fusion 7 Pro between July 29, 2015 and August 25, 2015 are eligible for an electronic upgrade to VMware Fusion 8 or VMware Fusion 8 Pro at no additional cost. Learn more about the VMware Fusion electronic upgrade program here.
VMware Fusion 6 and 7 customers can upgrade to VMware Fusion 8 for only $49.99 and to VMware Fusion 8 Pro for $119.99 at the VMware online store.
Parallels Desktop customers can upgrade to VMware Fusion 8 or VMware Fusion 8 Pro and save 40%. Learn more here.
Download a free trial at the VMware Fusion trial page.
VMware Fusion is available in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese and Japanese.