Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today announced the availability of a new development kit that brings Android 4.1.2 (“Jelly Bean”) to TI’s Sitara ARM AM335x Cortex-A8 processors. This complete software offering allows innovators to fully evaluate Android 4.1.2 on embedded applications running on TI’s Sitara processors for easier navigation that is up to two times faster than the previous version of Android. For more information or to download the free development kit, click here.
Sitara ARM developers can now take advantage of Android 4.1.2 for feature-rich, low-power applications, including wearable gadgets such as watches, goggles, display panels for home appliances and automation, enterprise tablets, point-of-sale terminals, portable navigation devices and industrial automation.
Faster, smoother and more responsive
Complete with pre-integrated connectivity and 3D graphics capabilities, the Android 4.1.2 Development Kit provides a stable software foundation for Sitara AM335x processor-based products. To help developers quickly and easily integrate and evaluate Android-based applications, the development kit is fully tested using the Android compatibility test suite on the AM335x evaluation module (EVM), AM335x Starter Kit and BeagleBone development boards, and a number of BeagleBone Cape Plug-in Boards such as the LCD7 Cape, DVI-D Cape and Camera Cape.
TI’s Android 4.1.2 Development Kit also features:
• Integrated Android Open Accessory protocol support, allowing connectivity to any Android-based accessory with AM335x products.
• Haptics feedback, accelerometer, and ambient light sensors.
• Soft navigation keys, supported on landscape displays to help customers build products without any mechanical keys on-board.
• Multiple USB features, including USB pen drive support and USB-based camera capture and preview.
• 3D graphics using Imagination Technologies’ POWERVR SGX OpenGL accelerator drivers and libraries.
• Application notes, guides and test results to help developers with their designs.
“Android 4.1.2 offers a faster and easier interface that makes transitions between applications smoother and the latest graphics effects stand out,” said Adrian Valenzuela , marketing director, Sitara ARM processors, TI. “This enables developers who are leveraging Sitara’s AM335x processors to create robust embedded applications for better user experiences.”
Pricing and availability
The Android 4.1.2 Development Kit for TI’s Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 processors is available for free download today, with no development or production restrictions. Developers interested in experimenting with the latest Android code for Sitara can also visit the open-source community at arowboat.org.