Observability helps developers and operators (“DevOps”) understand distributed systems: what’s slow, what’s broken, and what needs to be done to improve performance. In order to manage and understand multi-layered architectures, we need more than traditional logs and infrastructure metrics.
In this guide, we cover:
- Common observability challenges in distributed systems
- Understanding telemetry data: logs, metrics, and traces
- The “three pillars of observability”
- Requirements for effective observability solutions
- Managing observability with SLAs, SLOs, and SLIs