Compuware Corporation, the technology performance company, today announced the industry’s first deep transaction management solution for dynamic cloud and big data applications. The Compuware APM Spring 2012 Platform Release introduces new innovations in Compuware dynaTrace Enterprise that simplify performance optimization, operation and management of modern, dynamic applications.
These transformational application environments require a new approach to application performance management (APM) to support massively scalable architectures and dynamic, elastic resource allocation. With dynaTrace Enterprise and its patented PurePath technology, EC2 and Azure cloud applications as well as Cassandra and Hadoop Big Data applications can be easily optimized and managed for greater performance and availability.
“Today’s application landscape is rapidly changing as virtualized environments become more dynamic and flexible and as elastic cloud applications take hold in the enterprise,” said Julie Craig, Research Director at Enterprise Management Associates. “This means that businesses are moving beyond private cloud and expanding use of public and even hybrid cloud. At the same time, Big Data is becoming increasingly integral to enterprise applications, as companies seek to incorporate massive amounts of data into business analytics, decision support, BI, and many other types of data analytics solutions.”
Craig goes on to state: “These factors, combined with the integrated and dynamic nature of cloud environments, are challenging traditional APM tools, many of which lack the agility necessary to adapt to new application architectures and design points. This is driving CIOs to re-evaluate existing toolsets for ‘cloud-readiness,’ and many are seeking APM systems that are lighter, smarter and more versatile. Compuware is effectively addressing this need by delivering the multi-dimensional application visibility that is necessary to ensure application performance in these very complex application environments.”
Compuware APM For Big Data Applications
Big data applications suffer from many of the performance challenges and bottlenecks that plague current distributed applications, though the volume of performance data can be much larger. Optimizing data distribution across nodes, tuning transaction to query relationships, identifying I/O bottlenecks, tuning CPU and memory consumption amongst thousands of nodes, and assuring job list efficiency require deep insight into Big Data applications.
dynaTrace Enterprise provides unprecedented visibility into both Cassandra NoSQL and Hadoop Map/Reduce Big Data environments, supporting these highly scalable elastic environments in several unique ways:
• Zero-configuration instrumentation: for real-time code-level clarity for faster tuning and more scalable instances at lower costs;
• Out-of-the-box analytics and dashboards: optimized for Cassandra and Hadoop, for quick MTTR, effective tuning and easy management;
• 1-2 percent overhead in high-volume production: for 24×7, all transaction monitoring for more available applications at lower cost;
• Auto-adaptive instrumentation and dashboards for zero-touch elastic use;
• Smart auto-baselines for fast time-to-value and no false-positive alerting even for dynamic, highly elastic environments; and
• Automatic log file correlation to transaction detail for deeper application context and faster mean-time-to-resolve (MTTR) than any alternative approach in the market.
Compuware APM for Cloud and Multi-Cloud Applications
As cloud security becomes trusted, application performance has become top of mind for many CIOs and CTOs architecting and deploying business critical applications in the cloud. Cloud applications have quickly become too dynamic for traditional APM systems, which require manual provisioning of virtual machines, dashboards and reporting systems. dynaTrace Enterprise changes all this with extended cloud capabilities for VMWare, EC2 and Azure as well as:
• Auto-discovery, auto-adaptive PurePath instrumentation: for lower operational cost and deepest application visibility even for multi-cloud (e.g. vCloud + EC2 and/or Azure) and hybrid cloud environments;
• Dynamic behavioral analytics for smart auto-baselines: adjusts to real-time events providing dramatically fewer false positive alerts than simple historical baselines;
• Zero-configuration operations dashboards: adapts automatically to dynamic changes in the cloud infrastructure for fast time-to-value and no lost data;
• Auto-correlated multi-layer view: for application, virtual machine, guest operating system, and hypervisor visibility for faster, more accurate triage, and fastest MTTR;
• Secure 3-tier collector architecture: for easy administration, superior scalability and secure performance data management in single-cloud and multi-cloud environments, enabling truly global patented PurePath tracing; and
• Cloud, Web and Mobile UEM for IPv6: for ensuring visibility in the growing number of IPv6 user base, with the only deep end-to-end user centric Compuware APM offering.
“I hear from customers everywhere I go that their application environments are changing more rapidly than ever,” said Bernd Greifeneder, Chief Technology Officer & Senior Vice President of dynaTrace Enterprise Engineering for Compuware’s APM business unit. “Our dynaTrace Enterprise Spring Release has been designed and built with the myriad of new application challenges in mind – dynamic clouds, elastic big data and automatic operations support. As with all our releases, customers helped us design, test and tune our leading-edge capabilities which, I believe, will continue to set Compuware APM apart from other offerings.”