Red Hat, Inc., the world’s leading provider of open source solutions, today announced the global availability of Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2, with fully supported Storage Live Migration and a new third-party plug-in framework. As part of Red Hat’s open hybrid cloud offerings, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization is the industry’s only mission-critical end-to-end, open source virtualization infrastructure designed for enterprise users and global organizations.
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 is designed to meet an increasing industry need for open virtualization solutions without compromising performance, scalability, security or features. Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization is also an essential component of Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure, which combines traditional datacenter virtualization features provided by Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, cloud-enabled infrastructure provided by Red Hat OpenStack, and hybrid cloud management provided by Red Hat CloudForms, to deliver a comprehensive open hybrid cloud solution for customers seeking to adopt cloud-enabled applications and infrastructure in coexistence with their traditional infrastructure and migrate over time as their needs demand.
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 brings a vast array of new features, including:
• Fully supported Storage Live Migration, allowing virtual machine images to be moved from one storage domain to another without disrupting service;
• Support for the latest industry-standard processors from Intel and AMD, including Intel Haswell series and AMD Opteron G5 processors; and
• Enhancements in storage management, networking management, fencing and power management, Spice console enhancements, logging and monitoring, and more.
New Third-Party Plug-ins
A key feature in Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 is the availability of a new third-party plug-in framework. Developed through community and vendor collaboration and contributions, the plug-in framework enables third parties to integrate new features and actions directly into the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization management user interface. New menu items, panes, and dialog boxes allow users to access the new functionality the same way they use Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization’s native functionality. The framework continues to evolve based on vendor and community requests, and any vendor may choose to consume the plug-in framework and add unique functionality to Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization.
Red Hat is already collaborating with several industry leaders to integrate their solutions with Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization via the new plug-in, including high availability and disaster recovery solutions from NetApp, Symantec, and Insight Control from HP:
• NetApp: Virtual Storage Console (VSC) for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization helps improve efficiency while reducing cost and complexity in virtual environments using NetApp storage. VSC provides integrated virtual storage management, including rapid domain provisioning and cloning of hundreds of virtual machines, while enabling Red Hat administrators to access and execute all of these capabilities using the standard Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization management interface NetApp is now accepting applications for the VSC for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization beta.
• Symantec: Veritas Cluster Server from Symantec, the comprehensive disaster recovery and high availability solution, will support Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.2 environments. Once integration is complete, Veritas Cluster Server will offer “push button” disaster recovery orchestration, and together with the Veritas Operations Manager Recovery Plan feature completely automate the failover of a Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization environment over to a disaster recovery site. This includes guests, guest network reconfiguration, and storage reconfiguration. Veritas Cluster Server is designed to provide high availability and disaster recovery for databases, custom applications, and complete multi-tiered applications across physical and virtual environments over any distance.
• HP: Insight Control for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, a new plug-in currently being developed by HP to enable deployments using HP ProLiant servers to view a wealth of information provided by the HP Insight Control platform. Within the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization graphical interface, administrators can quickly and easily obtain detailed information on the health of the HP server hardware.