In the field of electronic documents, nowadays PDF may definitely be characterized as the file format that constitutes the most widespread standard for digitally based communication and teamwork. The importance of PDF has been underlined by the fact that in July 2008, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) published the approved ISO 32000-1 standard based upon PDF 1.7. PDF has become an official ISO standard.
Soft Xpansion allows for the high relevance of PDF. The company regularly publishes new versions of its PDF Software Development Kit (SDK). The SDK enables software developers to seamlessly implement the creation, editing and display of PDF files into their own 32- and 64-bit Windows applications. The new version 8 now offers even more functionality.
The SDK may be used in Windows projects based upon different platforms. Developers may use C++ (the language of the core of the SDK), .NET, C#, Delphi or languages that support the COM interface. It also includes ActiveX and .NET Controls and the possibility to implement viewing PDF documents into Internet Explorer and Firefox, as well as capabilities to fill PDF forms without installation of additional components.
With the SDK functionality implemented, end users do not need any extra programs to create, edit and view PDF files. The libraries are completely independent and do not require any specific system components or any additional software that is not already included in the operating system.
The SDK consists of separate sub-libraries, modules and extensions which may be bought and implemented separately. Thanks to this concept, Soft Xpansion is able to offer a flexible pricing system. With this system, developers only pay for the components that are really needed. The PDF Xpansion SDK can be used on any modern 32-bit and 64-bit version of Windows: Windows 7, Vista, XP, Server 2008 and 2008 R2.
NEW IN VERSION 8
The new modules and improvements in the respective libraries are as follows:
PDF Document Library
* Improved loading/drawing time of PDFs (from 2 up to 10 times faster)
* Implemented alternative drawing technology (Direct2D can be used now)
* Added scanning possibility (TWAIN/WIA devices)
* Added support for named destinations (browse, find, edit)
* Added timestamping of PDFs, including secure TSA servers
PDF Quick Viewer
* Improved drawing time of PDFs (up to 5 times faster)
* Added support for alternative drawing technology (Direct2D)
* Added viewer tools: Loupe, Snapshot, Navigator
* Added form fields highlighting
PDF Rich Edit Library
* Added support for layer groups
* Improved display quality
XPS Document Library
* Added text search and selection, picture selection
* Browse, edit and create outline items (TOC)
* Links on the pages are supported now
* Named destinations are supported now
Document Transformer Library
* Added text search and selection in the preview
* Relayout of PDFs includes links, forms, annotations, layers, bookmarks and named destinations
* Added formatted text decorations
* Added support of autotext in the text decorations
The prices for the basic SDK library to create PDF files start at 950,- Euros. Various license types and component sets are available. The price list follows the idea to offer separable SDK components and modules. Therefore, it allows a flexible adaptation to the actual clients` demands on the PDF solution.
Detailed information on the SDK is provided on the product page (http://soft-xpansion.com/index.php?p=pdftech/pdflib) and in the PDF Xpansion SDK Guide. The Guide and a trial version are available for download on the product page as well.
MORE SOFTWARE: PDF XPANSION INSIDE
The SDK is based upon the company´s PDF Xpansion technology, which is also used by several partners (http://soft-xpansion.com/index.php?p=pdftech/pdflib&sp=c). Moreover, Soft Xpansion has implemented the technology into its own Perfect PDF 7 product family (http://soft-xpansion.com/index.php?p=pdftech/pdf7). The family members consist of retail desktop applications and freeware.