Sprint will offer the submersible Kyocera Hydro Edge beginning on Friday, July 19, and Boost Mobile will offer the device starting Tuesday, July 23, without a contract. Kyocera Hydro Edge, which can be submerged in up to 3.28 feet of water for up to 30 minutes, is part of the new Hydro series of waterproof Android smartphones and builds on the popular Kyocera Hydro, which has been a top seller at Boost Mobile since its launch in August 2012.
Bringing this feature-rich smartphone to both Sprint and Boost Mobile gives customers the choice in how they pay for their devices and their monthly service plans:
• Sprint customers will benefit from days at the beach filled with pictures, videos and posts without worrying about overages thanks to Truly UnlimitedSM data, text and calling to any mobile phone with no metering, no throttling, and no overages, all while on the Sprint network. Hydro Edge will be available for just $19.99 (excluding taxes) with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement after a $50 mail-in-rebate via reward card1 in all Sprint retail channels, including Web Sales (www.sprint.com) and Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1).
• Boost Mobile customers who choose to pair their device with a no-annual-contract2 option will benefit from Boost Mobile’s $55 Android Monthly Unlimited plan with Shrinking Payments. For every six on-time payments, the cost of Boost Mobile’s Monthly Unlimited plan shrinks by $5, eventually getting down as low as $40 a month for unlimited nationwide talk, text and picture messaging, Web3, email and calls to 411. Payments do not need to be consecutive to qualify for the next savings milestone. Hydro Edge will be available from Boost Mobile for $149.99 (excluding taxes) at Boost Mobile’s exclusive retail stores, select independent wireless dealer locations nationwide and www.boostmobile.com with free shipping. It will be available in early August at select Boost Mobile national retail locations.
Boost Mobile is offering Hydro Edge for pre-order starting today at www.boostmobile.com/hydroedge. This marks the first time a device has been offered to Boost Mobile customers through pre-order.
“There is a definite demand for waterproof devices as shown by more than a million Kyocera Hydro smartphones sold by Boost and the nearly 2 million Kyocera Dura Series devices for Sprint Direct Connect, making it the most popular Kyocera product line ever sold by Sprint,” said David Owens, Sprint vice president-Product Development. “Hydro Edge helps reduce the worries of water damage during a day at the beach or a day on the job without having to spend extra money on a waterproof case. With the power of Android Jelly Bean and a 4-inch capacitive impact resistant touchscreen, Hydro Edge helps our customers stay connected and get things done.”
In addition to being waterproof, Kyocera Hydro Edge boasts the following features:
• Android 4.1, Jelly Bean
• 1GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
• Smart Sonic Receiver technology – improves audio in noisy environments
• 4-inch capacitive, impact-resistant touchscreen display
• 5-megapixel camera with LED flash and video camera
“We’re continuing to see growing demand for waterproof phones that can survive the accidents life throws at us,” said Eric Anderson, senior vice president and general manager of global sales and marketing at Kyocera Communications Inc. “Hydro Edge builds on the success of the original Kyocera Hydro and adds some great extra features, such as Smart Sonic Receiver, to make a very attractive, affordable Android smartphone. It’s a must-have device for staying connected while lying around the pool or going to the beach this summer.”
To support the growing need for data, Sprint is rolling out a new 3G/4G network designed to provide faster data speeds, improved call quality and easier connectivity. Sprint expects customers to benefit with better wireless signal strength, in-building coverage and fewer drops/blocks. For the most up-to-date information on Sprint network coverage, please visit sprint.com/coverage.
Please visit kyocerasmartphones.com/hydro-edge for more information.