The WinJS 4.0 release will be focused on the framework’s universal app, interoperability, and in-class ListView capabilities. The Windows App Team detailed all the new features to come in WinJS 4.0 in a blog post. The most significant details include:
- Universal app controls: Added key controls create shortcuts for developers to code universal app experiences that work across various screen sizes, aspect ratios and input types.
- Angular interoperability: Microsoft has developed a new AngularJS-WinJS wrapper to improve compatibility with the framework, including using WinJS controls as Angular directives and integrating Angular two-way data binding.
- ListView: ListView in WinJS 4.0 streamlines interaction options for developers, and adds a variety of new features and functionality updates, including an improved interaction model redefining Single, Multi, Extended and Read-Only selection scenarios, and striping capabilities and progressive loading with new ListView footers.
- WinJS SplitView: An adaptive layout with a navigation pane and content area within the dashboard to adapt app configurations to different screen sizes, and to model the app on phones, tablets and PCs.
- WinJS Toolbar: New ToolBar responsive command surface to build apps for unique form factors, controlling for application scalability and content overflow.
- Content dialog: The new WinJS Content Dialog control adapts to screen size and position, hosts arbitrary content, and moves through options with the tab key.
- XYFocus: The new XYFocus feature enables arbitrary HTML element navigation, supporting gamepad-style movement within WinJS and allowing for key remapping in a given app.
- Pivot control: Update to pivot app navigation adds visual improvements and new adaptive headers along with expanded touch capabilities.