Real Software, creator of object-oriented, cross-platform software development tools for Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and the web, today announced the first 2011 release of its flagship product, Real Studio. The new 2011 Release 1 – affecting both the Web and Desktop Editions – contains 114 improvements and 35 new features, including greatly simplified web application deployment capabilities as well as new Microsoft SQL Server support for improved performance and easier deployment.
Real Studio was released 13 years ago to help software developers create a wide range of applications, from utilities to enterprise-class programs. With 2011 Release 1, Real Software is helping developers to deploy web applications much faster and easier with a new CGI option that automatically outputs a Perl script and acts as a gateway between the web server and the application. The new product also includes a new, native Microsoft SQL Server plugin, providing easier deployment and better performance.
Real Studio 2011 Release 1 Features
Based on feedback from the extensive Real Studio community, the following new features have been added to improve usability:
· Easier deployment of web applications – The new CGI option outputs a Perl script that acts as a gateway between the web server and the web application. The Perl script goes in the cgi-bin folder allowing for easier hosting and supporting many more hosting services.
· New Microsoft SQL Server support – A new, native Microsoft SQL Server plugin has been added for easier deployment and improved performance. This plugin supports Windows only.
· Improved web application exception handling – The session class now has an unhandled exception event to make it easier to trap exceptions that weren’t handled in code.
· Improved web application file uploading – It is now possible to limit the number of files the user can upload and new events have been added allowing users to determine when a file has been added or removed.
· Improved HTMLViewer – The HTMLViewer now supports getting and setting custom user agent strings and increasing/decreasing the font size.
· Multiuser support for RealSQLDatabase – RealSQLDatabase now has a new Multiuser property. This enables web applications to allow multiple users to access a RealSQLDatabase file at the same time. This may eliminate the need, for some web applications, to require a database server.
· Improved WebListBox – The WebListBox now has a CellClick event (just like the desktop Listbox has), as well as Cell and Column Style properties, allowing far greater control over the look and behavior of cells.
· Improved drag and drop – The new DragPicture property allows for the use of an image for dragging. UTIs (Universal Type Identifiers) are now supported by drag and drop on Mac OS X as well.
· Improved Mac OS X clipboard support – UTIs (Uniform Type Identifiers) are now supported by the Clipboard class on Mac OS X for easier identification of clipboard data.
· Improved database support – Running SQL commands in a thread is now optional via a property. Turning this off improves performance but is not advisable in a web application.
· Improved Cocoa support – This release includes a huge number of improvements to Real Studio’s Cocoa framework, improving compatibility for more projects.
Real Studio 2011 Release 1 is currently available to all current and new Real Software customers.